Summer Reading & Events are ready for lift off! This summer is the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 moon landing and the library is all about space. Accept our reading challenge and explore space related events for all ages. Let’s moonwalk through the highlights. Register for the summer reading challenge and track your reading May 20th – Aug 2nd. For detailed information about the reading challenges, see the sections below.
From May 28th - August 2nd FREE summer meals will be served to children 18 and under in the Schmidt Gallery at the Library Monday through Friday, 11:30am - 1:00pm. Snacks will be served Monday through Friday, from 3:30pm - 4:30pm. Adult meals can be purchased for $3.75.
- Every time you and your child read for 10 minutes or more, put a sticker in a circle.
- Every time you and your child complete one of the literacy activities, put a sticker in a circle. Do the ones appropriate for your child and feel free to do them multiple times! Each time you do one, it counts as another sticker!
- Once you have filled up a whole page with stickers, bring the completed sheet to the Children's service desk. A prize will be awarded to your child for the first 3 sheets that are turned in. They will also receive an entry into the prize drawing for every sheet that they complete, so keep completing sheets even after the third sheet!
- ONE (1) completed log will make you and your child eligible for the pool party at the end of the summer.
Each child must be registered to win prizes. Each child will receive a prize with each full reading log that the child turns in (child must be present). Each completed reading log will receive one entry into the grand prize drawings. A minimum of one completed reading log will be required to attend the final party. To mark off a circle, do any of the following:
- 10 minutes of reading, independent or with someone
- Attend a Hays Public Library class or program
- Complete an activity in the library (table activities, board games, etc.)
- Assist with program clean up or transition
Each Young Adult patron must be registered to win prizes. Registration and a record of at least three event participations will be required to attend final party.
- Checking out books receives two scratch tickets per day.
- Attendance and participation in programs receives one scratch ticket
- Service projects receive one scratch ticket per day
- Writing a review of a new book read is worth up to three scratch tickets
Limit of 4 scratch tickets per day. Each non-winning ticket is entered to win grand prizes at the end of the summer.
Adults 18+ can participate in the Summer Challenge by completing a bookmark featuring 10 challenges: Read a book on the summer reading list, visit the Kansas Room, check out a Kansas Room book, check out something to listen to, check out something to watch, come to a library program, check out a new book, check out a space-related item, ask a librarian for a book or resource suggestion, ask a librarian about the other services the library has to offer.
Patrons may enter to win one of three prizes:
- Cosmosphere Package: 2 adult tickets to the Cosmosphere, gas gift card, Applebee’s gift card, space book
- Star Gazing Package: stellarscope, reclining camp chair, planisphere, camping blanket
- Lake Package: insulated cooler, inflatable kayak, waterproof cellphone pouch, hammock
To enter, simply submit a completed bookmark at the Adult desk. Prizes will be on display in the Gallery display case.
Are you ready for a galaxy full of fun this summer? Check back regularly for a list of stellar events you can come to this summer at the Library!
Teen Blast-Off Party
Fri, May 17th | 2pm - 6pm | Trish Davies Room
A space-themed party to celebrate the kick-off of the Summer Reading Challenge. This party will provide space food, games, crafts, and chances to win prizes.
Children's Blast-Off Party
Tue, May 21st | 9am - 8pm | Childrens Department
The Hays Public Library is hosting a space-themed carnival to celebrate the kick-off of the Summer Reading Challenge. It is a come and go event that will last all day in the Childrens Department. Patrons are invited to play games, eat food, create crafts, interact with staff members and friends, and sign up for Summer Reading.
Tue, June 4th | 10pm - 11pm | All Ages | Outside the Library
Join us at the K-State Ag Research Center to take a look at the stars, Jupiter, and Saturn with Father Fred Gatschet, owner of the largest telescope in Hays!
Cosmosphere: The Solar System
Tue, June 11th | 4pm - 5pm | All Ages | Schmidt Gallery
Explore what we have learned about our Solar System over the years and what exists outside its reaches, presented by speakers from the Cosmosphere in Hutchinson, Kansas!
Sugar Free All Stars
Tue, June 25th | 6:30pm - 7:15pm
Get ready to pack the dance floor, because here comes Sugar Free Allstars! This Grammy- featured, family funk super duo from Oklahoma City has been listed as one of Time magazine's top 12 family music acts in America. They blend elements of soul, rhythm & blues, disco, gospel and New Orleans street parade music to provide a high energy rock show experience that has been described as a funky, foot-stompin’, hand-clappin’, body movin’ and groovin’ dance-until-you-drop party for all ages!
A special thank you to all of our sponsors:
Bank of Hays
Beam Dental Office
Clinkscales Elder Law Practice, PA
Gordon's Carpet Center
Great Plains Dermatology
Jeff Pinkney, CPA
McDonald's of Hays
Riedel Garden Center