The Friends of the Hays Public Library are dedicated to making our library’s services the best possible. We are a diverse group of individuals and through our passion for learning, we want to promote the growth, development, and greatest possible use of the Hays Public Library to meet community needs.
That’s why every penny spent at the Friends bookstore or given in donation at a Friends event is put back into the library. So, whether you want to become a Friend, stick around to volunteer/intern, or decide to stop in to pick up a few books, you will be giving back to your library.
Located on the first floor of the Hays Public Library just inside of the Schmidt Gallery, the Gallery Bookstore is your destination for gently used books, audiobooks, DVDs, CDs, Video Games, and more! The Gallery Bookstore obtains its written, visual and audio materials through generous donations by library patrons and the general public as well as items that have been withdrawn from the Hays Public Library collection.
Monday: 1pm – 4pm
Tuesday: 1pm – 4pm
Wednesday: 10am – 4pm
Thursday: 10am – 4pm
Friday: 10am – 4pm
Saturday: 1pm – 4pm
Benefits of Membership:
- 10% discount at the Gallery Bookstore
- Exclusive early access to book sales
- Invitation to the annual meeting to get insider’s access to library planning and innovations
- The “warm and fuzzy” feeling you get when you give back to your community
- Individual – $5
- Lifetime Individual – $200
- Student (under 18) – $1
- Family – $15
- Patron – $25
- Sustaining – $100
- Organization – $100
How to Donate Items:
Donations may be delivered to the Friends of HPL Bookstore during store open hours. Small donations, such as one box that can be easily carried, may be dropped off with HPL staff if the store is closed.
Please keep in mind we are limited on space. Please find another means of disposal if the item has little chance of being sold by Friends of HPL. We also request donations be limited to one box easily carried by a volunteer per visit.
Items that we are happy to accept:
- Books in good condition with a publication date of 2010 and newer
- Children’s picture books in good condition regardless age
- History books pertaining to Kansas or of regional importance in good condition regardless age
- DVDs, CDs, and audiobooks in good condition
Items that we cannot accept:
- Encyclopedias and textbooks
- VHS tapes, cassette tapes, records, or other multimedia
- Any items which are unhealthy to handle, have an odor, dirty, moldy, burnt, chewed, worn, or wet