To provide valuable resources and experiences for all people in our community to enhance their quality of life, expand their knowledge, and inspire their creativity.
Located in Downtown Hays, the library was first established in 1911 with the most recent major renovation completed in 2004. The nearly 40,000 square foot building is a meeting place open for the entire community, featuring the Schmidt Gallery, the Dorothy D. Richards Kansas Room and the Friends of the Library Bookstore.
Along with a collection of 300,000 print, non-print and digital materials, the library annually hosts hundreds of programs for all ages. Patrons are able to take advantage of free Wi-Fi access, computers and technical assistance. The library has approximately 23,400 registered users, and over 150,000 people visit the library each year.
The library is continuing to expand its community outreach. Rotating book collections are provided to schools and senior care facilities in Hays. Coordinating programs and presentations with community groups and major events, allows the library another opportunity to provide resources beyond the building. The “Take A Book, Leave A Book” Little Free Library program moves free books directly into seven neighborhood parks. Staff members are always looking for new partnership opportunities that share the library’s resources.
For a graphical timeline of our history, see the Kansas Room page.